Beechlawn farmhouse dating
By the publication of the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map in the 1890s the latter property has become known as Courtstown House. Occupied by the Saunders family from at least the 1770s. Thomas Sadlier held the property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £29. By the time of Griffith's Valuation it appears to be the mill manager's house, occupied by William Egan and held from Timothy Hogan, part of a building complex valued at £97, known as Santa Cruise Mills. He built Summerville House which later became known as Ballingarrane. The Watsons occupied the house again in the second half of the 19th century and family members were still resident in the late 20th century.
At the time of the Saunders sale in 1877 this house was described as modern and substanial and "approached by a noble avenue lined with beech trees". Situated just north of Ballingarry castle Ballingarry House was built circa 1820. Edward Newsom held this house from Eliza Mc Caul and Louis Denay at the time of Griffith's Valuation when it was valued at £24.
At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John Lindsay owned land in the townland of Friarsgrange, parish of Coolmundry, in which Ballinard Castle is situated.
It appears that, in the nineteenth century, a house was built adjoining the original tower house as, in 1840, the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Ballinard Castle, a gentleman's seat in the townland of Friarsgrange.
The family were later obliged to leave the property due to financial difficulties. Situated on the Neville estate this house was built by the Baily family in the mid 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, there is no house with a substantial valuation in the townland, which was the property of "Bernard Kelly, a minor, in chancery". Comyn, Parish Priest in 1837 and by John Singleton who held from William Gabbett at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
It is marked on the first Ordnance Survey map, circa 1840. Richard Irwin's estate owned a herd's house valued at £2 together with over 400 acres at Ballaghawbeg, barony of Castlereagh, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The original house is no longer extant and a modern house occupies the site.
The present house dates from the early 19th century and incorporates parts of an older building.
By the 1870s Richard Gregg was living in the house which was then known as Oakville. Hajba writes that Gregg sold his interest in the property to the Fitzpatricks in the 1880s and this family was still in residence in the early 21st century. Described as a good dwelling house at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. The Census of Elphin in 1749 recorded that Charles O'Conor, farmer, held this property at the time. Francis Hodder held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £24 10s. Local sources suggest that It was originally built by the Mc Carthy family and later acquired by the Hodders.
Occupied by Denis O'Conor in the 1850s, held from Theobald Dillon and valued at £6. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association survey refers to it as being occupied by F.
The Chadwicks were still living at Ballinard at the beginning of the 20th century.
In 1894 Slater refers to Ballinard Castle as the residence of William Tennant.